Saturday, November 8, 2008

Dealing With Harassing Prank Calls

Are you receiving harassing hang up calls? The phone rings, you answer but caller is quiet or just heavy breathing? You check the caller ID but it says blocked. This can be very upsetting and annoying.

This kind of telephone harassment can also be the first sign of infidelity in a relationship. Very often it's the "other woman:" calling. She wants you to know she exists to cause trouble in your relationship or just enjoys annoying you.

Tips for dealing with annoying prank calls:

1.Try reporting the calls to the phone company or police. In some states it's not a crime to call and not speak. It's only a crime to make telephone threats. So check with your local police dept and phone company.

2. Keep a diary of when the calls come. You may notice a pattern that will help you identify the caller.

3. Record your calls. Once again check your local laws because some state require both parties consent to tape calls.

4. Hire a private investigator that specializes in telephone harassment investigations. A PI will have access to equipment and resources that even the local police or phone company many not have.

One thing you should not do is complain to family, friends or co-workers about the calls or tell them you have made a police report or hired an investigator. Word could spread back to the person making the harassing prank calls that you have begun a telephone investigation. This could make it more difficult to trap and trace the calls back and document the evidence for legal action.

If you decide you hire an investigator to conduct a telephone investigation into harassing prank calls be sure to check them out and see if they are recognized as an expert in the field. Compare services before making a choice.

Either way you don't have to just sit back and let the other woman walk all over you with harassing prank calls. Stand up and fight back for your family's future.

Ed Opperman is president of Opperman Investigations Inc. For help with a telephone investigation visit www.emailrevealer.com

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed: Thanks for visiting my Blog...Great stuff on your site and in your blog. Very useful information. I would like to promote your site on mine.

Mike:
http://www.personalprotectionproductsofohio.com
http://www.peppersprayking.com

scribebob said...

My 21-year old daughter moved into her own apartment near her office. Of course it makes a lot of sense, except that it scares her dad half to death.
“She has to find her own way,” my wife said. “She has to build up some independence,” she added. “She will meet a lot of new friends,” she also said.
It was that last comment – those “new friends”-- that bothered me. Would they all really be “friends”? Or would they be predators – thieves, rapists, even killers?
Of course I am not the first father to worry about his young daughter striking out on her own and living by herself in an apartment. But this was my daughter, and I was going to worry as much as I wanted. But beyond that, I wanted to make sure that she was as safe as I could possibly make her.
After a few weeks went by, I asked my daughter, Melinda, how things were going and if she had encountered any problems or had any safety concerns. When she paused before answering I knew that something was wrong. But of course she didn’t want to get me worried and to start saying “I told you so.”
“I have been getting some screwy phone calls,” she said. “I think they are just guys who want to have some fun. But they are a bit scary. You just never know, because I am alone and maybe somebody would like to verify that so that they would know there is no one here to help me in case of a threat.”
I knew that there would be moments like this, so I had to maintain my composure and assure her that there was something we could do to help her with this problem. What this something was I had no clue.
There is a man in my office who I go to for all questions related to what kind of help is out there for any kind of problem I can raise. He lives on the computer and he is an encyclopedia of computer help knowledge. So I went to him with my problem. Of course he had an answer.
“What your daughter needs to do is to make sure these callers know there are a lot of different people living at her place,” he said. “No one would dare attempt anything when they realize she is not only not alone, but there are several others either living there or visiting often.”
“So,” I asked, “you’re saying she has to get some roommates? Her place really is not that big. I’m not sure that’s going to work.”
“Not roommates” he said, “just their voices.” That’s when he told me about The Voice Changer, which you can get at www.yoursecurityandsafety.com/voicechanger.htm.
“With The Voice Changer,” he said, “your daughter can answer the phone every time with a different voice, just by pressing a button.”
There are two versions, he said, TVC-1 disguises your voice by digitizing it; the degree of change can be adjusted as you are speaking by pressing a button on the front of the unit. Melinda can make it sound like a man or just a different person. She can even make it sound like a robot.
TVC-2 has 8 different voice changing settings. Just press a button and a man can sound like a stranger, a woman like a man, a granddad like a child, etc.
That was the answer, no doubt. I ordered TVC-2, gave it to my daughter, explained how to use it and suddenly the strange phone calls have halted. To callers who don’t know her, it probably sounds as though she is running a rooming house. Good. I haven’t heard too many instances of a rooming house being invaded by a predator.

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.