Thursday, March 29, 2007

Child Support Enforcement

Collecting Child support Child support issues have risen considerably in the United States almost bottoming out several parents (especially women) and children to poverty. According to statistics more than $41 billion are owed to thirty million children in the US in child support fees according to ACES (Association for the Enforcement of Child Support. What should be done to protect yourself from bankruptcy and other hardships as a single parent? With the rising cases of divorce, unhappy marriages, and infidelity, it is very important to file for child support as soon as you and your husband/spouse separate. However if you are unmarried, you should file for child support as soon as your child is born.All parents both biological and adoptive as the case may be are required to support their children (adopted and otherwise) until they reach the age of majority which is usually 18 years old; even longer if they have certain disabilities. If the child has been adopted or is in active duty for the military then the parents’ obligations to pay child support end. Mothers and Fathers have every right to get child support only if they have custody of the child. Step-parents on the other hand are not obligated to support their spouse’s child which is the fruit of a previous marriage or relationship. However a father who never married the mom of his child is still obligated to pay child support but of course there can be disputes as to whether the child is really his. In order to collect child support, you have to get a court order based on a divorce, marriage dissolution, etc. This order is a binding order by the judge and without this either parent has no obligation to pay child support. It can be impossible to collect child support if until you can locate the parents curent employment. This can be done by hiring an investigator like Locate Current Employment search is only $89 .

No comments: